RFC Fedora 23 Change idea

Tomáš Smetana tsmetana at redhat.com
Tue May 26 08:44:50 UTC 2015

On Tue, 26 May 2015 10:03:23 +0300
Marius Vollmer <marius.vollmer at redhat.com> wrote:

> Dan Mossor <danofsatx at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > To make this as flexible as possible, I feel we still need a good
> > WebUI for Samba, as well as NFS and iSCSI. FreeNAS has done an awesome
> > job on their interface that provides all of these options, I wonder if
> > we can use any of their code in Cockpit, at the very least for
> > inspiration.
>
> Interesting!  Storage-wise Cockpit is moving from UDisks2 to storaged as
> the backend.  Storaged is a fork of UDisks2 and is rapidly acquiring new
> features like iSCSI, LVM2, and support for libstoragemgmt.  Network
> filesystems would be a good fit but I don't know whether anybody is
> working on that already.
>
> http://storaged-project.github.io/

Hi.
  I'm pretty sure nobody works on anything Samba or NFS related in storaged.
And we can only configure the iSCSI initiator which is not that interesting
for the NAS use-case.  Speaking of the proposed idea (NAS configuration UI).
I wonder if that would really be a good fit for the storaged API.  So far we
were dealing with the storage devices, filesystems, etc.  This would broaden
the scope to a storage services management too.  We have not really
considered that (yet...).

I can imagine that Samba configuration management would be quite demanded
feature. However Samba is much more than just a file sharing service and I'm
not sure we would be able to simply isolate that one piece from it.  So we may
need special APIs for Samba for example. NFS server and iSCSI target might be
simpler but again: it's more services configuration than storage.

Regards,
--
Tomáš Smetana
Platform Engineering, Red Hat