RFC Fedora 23 Change idea

Matthew Miller mattdm at fedoraproject.org
Tue May 26 14:58:47 UTC 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:44:50AM +0200, Tomáš Smetana wrote:
> > http://storaged-project.github.io/
>   I'm pretty sure nobody works on anything Samba or NFS related in storaged.

To me, it seems like "inside the box" storage configation and "export
methods and permissions" are conceptually separate. I think for the NAS
idea, this could be fairly opinionated (allowing us, among other
things, to get SELinux right). One half would be "Configure storage
however you want to get a volume mounted at /srv/fedora-nas" (Or
whatever we select), and the other half would be "export subdirectories
of /srv/fedora-nas via your choice of tech".

> demanded feature. However Samba is much more than just a file sharing
> service and I'm not sure we would be able to simply isolate that one
> piece from it. So we may need special APIs for Samba for example. NFS
> server and iSCSI target might be simpler but again: it's more
> services configuration than storage.

I think we _should_ isolate just that point. Samba installed for the
Fedora Server NAS role should _only_ do that. You want some other
functionality or configuration, run a different Samba.

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm at fedoraproject.org>