What to do with lm_sensors and other server hardware support packages?

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 22:54:06 UTC 2015

On Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:47:10 -0500, Stephen Gallagher wrote:

> Of these packages, lm_sensors pulls in 33MB of dependencies (mostly
> PERL, including the PERL interpreter). I'm not personally sure if
> there's sufficient value in lm_sensors to justify installing it by
> default. (Pulling in an entire language interpreter just to support
> this one package seems like overkill).

It the dep on Perl still only for the two interactive (!) scripts in
the lm_sensors package?

Or has anything changed that would strictly require those two scripts
to be available by default?

One script converts from ancient config file format to the current
format. => Not needed since many years.

The other script may be essential, because without running it, you
likely don't have any working config file to begin with. It tries to
detect h/w but still isn't automatic. There's still a big fat warning
about running it with --auto option.

Are other tools in the lm_sensors base package really useful without
a config file?