[Fedora-sparc] Fedora Sparc in Production

Hans Witvliet hwit at a-domani.nl
Thu May 5 20:20:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-05 at 14:20 -0400, Lamar Owen wrote:

> As much as I love Fedora, and on SPARC, and use it myself, if you're looking for something that is more 'supported'
> I would suggest Debian.  I'm not sure how much longer that will be the case, however.
> If it being a Linux distribution is not a hard requirement, then NetBSD and OpenBSD are both available for SPARC and SPARC64
> and are both solid performers.
>
> I have used Aurora of several versions in production, as well as using SuSE 7.3 SPARC several years back,
> and I am using the F12 beta for SPARC on a couple of boxes now, but if you need a degree of support, well,
> SPARC is a secondary arch for Fedora, and even though Dennis is giving it a good run it is still a Secondary
> and not primary supported architecture.
>
> But for a production box with high visibility (as a VoIP server would be) you may be better served by Debian or OpenBSD;
> it depends on how stuck on using Fedora or a fedora-ish Linux you are.  Or how stuck on using SPARC you are: your call.

I am still running Aurora-Linux on my Netra-T105.
As long as you don't want anything fancy, i would still recommend it

COTS intel stuff is very nice, but the seldom reach the age of five
years when running 24/7.

With Sparc stuff no problem: some of them are beyond 20 years!
Unfortunately they were too good for this world ;-(

hw