[Fedora-spins] [spin-kickstarts] #5: Desktop Live CD Oversized

Jeroen van Meeuwen kanarip at kanarip.com
Thu Nov 6 23:21:47 UTC 2008

Bill Nottingham wrote:
> spin-kickstarts (trac at fedorahosted.org) said:
>> #5: Desktop Live CD Oversized
>> ----------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
>>  Reporter:  kanarip         |        Owner:  mclasen, walters
>>      Type:  defect          |       Status:  closed
>> Comment (by petersen):
>>
>>  We could (will) save a considerable amount of space after getting rid of
>>  the lang support groups from fedora-livecd-desktop-default.ks: I still
>>  ready wish we did this for f10...
>
> Part of the goal for the desktop livecd is to be as universal as
> possible - this means supporting as many languages as possible.

I agree this was our original position and the reason for the language
support groups to be included.

> As a side benefit, it avoids us having to host 20 language spins
> by default.

This particular argument does not have as much weight as we haven't and
most probably won't ever host localized spins ourselves (e.g. on Fedora
Project Infrastructure), rather then getting the localized spin
kickstart configuration files out there and potentially offering a
tracker for a torrent hosted by peers outside our own infrastructure,
but again there is no real precedent for this. Not having had a
precedent yet also leaves us with questions about where the initial
compose should run and whether initial distribution to seeds would need
to happen from within the Fedora Project Infrastructure as a consequence.

I hope ^ makes sense ;-)

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen
-kanarip