[Fedora-spins] Spin SIG meeting agenda

Sebastian Dziallas sebastian at when.com
Fri Feb 20 23:32:51 UTC 2009

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Bill Nottingham wrote:
>> Sebastian Dziallas (sebastian at when.com) said:
>>> That's our goal. To allow them to see, what's possible. And once
>>> they're  convinced that they want to have this or that solution, they
>>> can still  pull the kickstart file and apply some small modifications
>>> on their own.  And I feel that this is one of the great advantages of
>>> the kickstart  system...
>>
>> ... ouch. Maybe I'm underestimating the .edu infrastructure, but it
>> would seem to me that requiring "if you're going to deploy this, you're
>> going to have to do your own custom spin" is going to limit it's
>> usefulness.
>>

> Most people are going to do their own deployment anyway, I think.
> Besides that, live media is a show-case, not a deployment method.
> Regardless, I also think that including the Sugar environment on this
> spin has to do with dropping the Sugar spin.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Jeroen van Meeuwen
> -kanarip

I agree here.

We're trying to give the user a show-case, a first-look experience of
what we can provide. I'd really love to see a more complete solution,
too, but this requires obviously more work and help...

So why are we including Sugar, even though I argued in my last e-mail,
that it would be moving quickly? This is now something else: We're not
only focused on Sugar and are giving out a solution with which we're
intending to show the most important educational apps off. Sure, it has
partly to do with dropping the Sugar Spin. Because now, we can provide
people with educational tools from two great projects, the KDE Education
  Project and Sugar Labs at the same time.

By the way, I also uploaded a slightly modified version:
http://sdz.fedorapeople.org/kickstart/livecd-education.ks

No big changes, but some comments and updates.

Thanks,
--Sebastian