[Fedora-spins] Guidance needed on creating Fedora 9 custom spin

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Sep 12 05:31:38 UTC 2009

On 09/10/2009 02:21 PM, Amit Malagi wrote:
> Hello Rahul
>
> I came across your presentation while searching the Internet for
> information on creating custom spins of Fedora. I am trying to create a
> minimal spin with a pf_ring patched kernel of Fedora 9 for i386. I have
> successfully created a patched kernel RPM. Now, I am facing problems
> while creating an ISO with the pf_ring patched kernel included in it.
> Any suggestions or guidelines on the procedure to do this will be very
> helpful. I used Pungi to create a custom spin but, it doesn't install
> the patched kernel at all.

Well, Fedora 9 is EOL'ed and won't be getting any security updates and I
would recommend using Fedora 11 instead. However the procedure is fairly
simple.

* Take the very latest kernel srpm in the the Fedora release you choose
and modify it to add your patch, bump up the kernel revision and put in
a folder. run createrepo -d on the folder which will create a custom yum
repository with the custom kernel in it.

* Modify the kickstart file to add this custom repo. something like

repo --name=kernel-foo --baseurl=file:///path/to/repo/

That should work. If you have more questions post to fedora-spins list
(CC'ed)

Rahul