[Fedora-spins] Moblin to Meego for F14?

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed Aug 4 19:41:53 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 01:03:25PM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 09, 2010 at 03:37:03PM +0100, pbrobinson at gmail.com wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 2:24 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> > > Is the Moblin spin going to get renamed for F14?
> > > If so we'll need to do another trademark check with the board. Also the
> > > wiki page for the new name should get created. Spins are supposed to
> > > be submitted by next week, so this change should happen soon if it is
> > > going to happen for F14.
> >
> > Yes it is. I mentioned it in one of the other threads. Sorry I've been
> > massively busy and are just starting to catch up. I will do the page
> > over the weekend. Paul and RH Legal have already dealt with the
> > trademark side of things. Added Paul so he can fill in those legal
> > details.
>
> Correct, I've already been in contact with Red Hat Legal about a spin
> containing MeeGo.  The Linux Foundation has issued specific
> guidelines[1] for usage of the MeeGo marks, which should be followed.
> In practical terms, our responsibility amounts to two points:
>
> * Ensure the spin passes the compliance tests issued by the Linux
>   Foundation.  The tests confirm that the MeeGo software issued in the
>   spin are fully compatible with the intentions of MeeGo upstream and
>   eligible for the mark.
>
> * Use a name for the spin that complies with the guidelines.  There
>   are some formulations already approved[1].  Unfortunately, none of
>   them work well in the case of spins, which are not products designed
>   *for use with* MeeGo, but rather showcases of MeeGo technology
>   itself.  In cases where two trademarks owned by different entities
>   are used together, it's often important to make sure that the usage
>   together doesn't create the impression that one entity owns the
>   other's trademark.[2] So I've asked the LF to tell us whether it's
>   acceptable to them for us to use the term "MeeGo Spin by Fedora."
>
> Our counsel at Red Hat gave me some help last week but I've been
> delinquent in moving the next question to Linux Foundation.  That's
> done now and I hope to have an answer soon.
>
> From the Board's perspective, the issue for a spin is not usually
> whether we're allowed to use someone else's trademark.  The issue the
> Board usually is concerned with is whether the spin is eligible to
> carry the Fedora trademark.  But it's probably best to go ahead and
> send the request through, just to make sure everyone's informed and on
> board (har!).
>
> * * *
> [1] https://www.linuxfoundation.org/about/linux-foundation-trademark-usage-guidelines
> [2] IANAL, TINLA, etc. ;-)

Following up on this -- we were in contact with counsel at the Linux
Foundation and they gave us permission to call the spin either "Fedora
Spin of MeeGo" or "MeeGo Spin by Fedora," the latter of which is (I
think) the preferred one.

Jared is following up with the Board to make sure they're aware too.
We'll also make sure there's a follow-up on any further approval
needed by the Board.  It's currently an open item in the Board's
agenda.