[Fedora-spins] Board SWG questions for Spins Owners

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at googlemail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:14:21 UTC 2010

Am Donnerstag, den 25.02.2010, 18:00 -0500 schrieb Bill Nottingham:
> Christoph Wickert (christoph.wickert at googlemail.com) said:
> > > The first is a policy issue that could be redressed. The second is
> > > unlikely to change (and would imply you'd be signing up to write your
> > > own if you didn't want to use anaconda/firstboot, which I can't imagine
> > > is what you want), and the third probably requires patch submissions.
> > >
> > > (Note: due to the requirements for a window manager at installation
> > > time, anaconda may very well require metacity in the near future.)
> >
> > Why not a virtual provide and let the spin maintainers and users decide?
> > In F12 we changed anaconda to use any display manager that has a virtual
> > provides for "service(graphical-login)" instead of hardcoding a list of
> > display managers. We should do the same for window manager.
>
> anaconda, firstboot, and whatever would need a mechanism to start
> random-window-manager of the day and adjust the configuration as needed.
> If that's important to people, they should submit patches.

It is not random but defined by the user or maintainer. All the spins
except the Desktop Spin already (have to) configure
/etc/sysconfig/desktop.

> There's also have the requirement that the window manager used support
> certain EWMH properties, although I suppose if you try and compose with
> twm you get all the pieces.

I guess all WMs in Fedora should support these properties.

> > > What prevents you doing in in Fedora? Have you submitted a package
> > > review, or an example spec?
> >
> > I cannot submit a package review because the files included in the
> > package conflict with the current packages.
>
> How so? Just package up some settings in the /etc/gconf.xml.system
> directory.

First of all I'm not interested in GNOME any longer, so there is no
reason for me to submit such a package. I just named it as an example
for smarter packaging.

Second: If the files do not confligt, how to prevent gnome-panel from
reading other /etc/gconf/schemas/panel-* files? How to resolve
conflicting settings?

> Bill

Regards,
Christoph