[Fedora-spins] meeting

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jan 11 19:14:47 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 19:28:09 +0100,
  "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Fedora Project)" <kanarip at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> Too bad lzma + squashfs isn't going to happen for F-13. How is it
> looking in general?

Well the patches being in linux-next make it pretty certain that they will
be in 2.6.34. Unless some problem with them is found that can't be fixed.
I am not sure in F13 will release with 2.6.34. Looking at the timing suggests
that the 2.6.34 release would be pretty close to the F13 release. I suspect
it will be considered to risky to release F13 with 2.6.34. I could ask Kyle
to backport them. Being in linux-next makes this relatively safe. But I only
want to do that if I really think it will help.

The issue with squashfs-tools is that it expects to use an lzma library
that doesn't match either of the two we currently have. One of these is
based on an earlier version of theSDK, but is no longer being developed.
The other seems like it should be usable, but is more complicated to use and
since its main purpose is for the tools getting library documentation was
not a high priority and figuring out how to use it is going to take some
work.

I expect to be able to do that work, but I don't think I'll be able to get it
done before feature freeze. So it won't be testable by beta. And for something
integral to making spins, I don't want to make that change post beta. (I'd
have to have squashfs-tools working, the patches backported and patches for
livecd-creator all done by beta freeze to make beta.)

So my plan is to continue working on squashfs-tools to get it into rawhide
for F13 and start doing some testing. For F14 I expect to supply some patches
to livecd-creator to allow use of lzma compression. It may or may not be
advertised as a feature for F14. But the functionallity should be there in
any case.