[Fedora-spins] Download instructions on the Spins page

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 13:18:01 UTC 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 04:07:25AM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 11:55 PM, Paul W. Frields <stickster at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 07:31:35PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> I'm helping out at POSSE Worcester this week and one of the things
> >> that people asked when looking through the spins download pages was
> >> "How do I make this into a live image on a USB stick?" so I looked
> >> around the site and noticed that the only spot that seems to mention
> >> what do do with a .iso once its downloaded is a couple of paragraphs
> >> in the about page.
> >>
> >> As a spin might be the first place that people try Fedora as its
> >> unobtrusive it might be worthwhile compressing the 2 paragraphs on the
> >> about page (one for optical and one for USB media) into a single
> >> paragraph with some links on the actual download page so they don't
> >> have to hunt for it and to make it as easy as possible for people to
> >> be able to get started.
> >
> > We have the following page on creating and making Live USB sticks:
> >
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB
> >
> > Is it helpful to link to that page?  When I google "fedora usb" (with
> > or without "live") that's the #1 hit.
>
> Yes, I found that but its not linked from the download pages of the
> spins. You need to go somewhere else like the about page to actually
> find that link. If you have to then google  "fedora usb" IMO we're
> doing something wrong, as soon as they have to go somewhere else we've
> lost them.

There's a "How do I use this?" link that appears right under the big
download button.  Right now, it links to a place in the Installation
Guide that really isn't helpful.

It *looks* like this content is the same for all spins -- at least the
few that I clicked through to check.  Would you agree that we should
link that to the USB page, or perhaps a general "How to use downloaded
ISO files" page that lets users pick from "Make a Live disc" and "Make
a Live USB"?