[Fedora-spins] MIA spins

John Poelstra poelstra at redhat.com
Wed Jun 23 12:56:05 UTC 2010

John Poelstra said the following on 06/16/2010 04:09 PM Pacific Time:
> Kevin Fenzi said the following on 06/10/2010 05:33 PM Pacific Time:
>> On Wed, 09 Jun 2010 09:46:26 -0700
>> John Poelstra<poelstra at redhat.com>   wrote:
>>
>>> I would highly recommend considering and adding the following to
>>> enable a smoother running Fedora 14 spins cycle compared to Fedora 13:
>>>
>>> 1) When testing will occur and for how long (through out)?
>>
>> Yes. Thoughout.
>
> We might get better coverage if we explicitly specify when it it needs
> to happen vs. "all the time" :)
>

>>> 2) When you need Release Engineering to create the final spins?
>>
>> Good question.
>>
>> I would say this would be the latest RC that gets accepted no?
>> So,
>>
>> 2010-10-14 - RC composes start
>> The final spins would be created from whatever RC is accepted as final.
>
> That is followed by the hand-off to QA on 2010-10-16 and then they have
> a week to qualify it.  This raises a couple of questions:
>
> 1) How long does it take to create the final spins? (releng)
>
> 2) How much time do you need to test them and when should testing start
> and end? (spins)
>
> 3) How much lead time does releng need to post the spins for GA, get the
> torrent files ready, etc?  IOW, when does the testing of the spins need
> to be completed by and spins that do not work dropped for Fedora 14?
>

>>> 3) When you plan to start test the final spins and for how long?
>>
>> You mean the ones from the final freeze? Or the ones that rel-eng
>> creates?
>>

> Asked a different way above.
>
>>> 4) When Spins bittorrent files need to be created?
>>
>> Those have typically been done when rel-eng is ready. Typically the
>> weekend before release, but it was monday (the day before release) this
>> last time.
>
> I will put on the schedule for the Friday before GA.
>

>>> 5) When final verification for final release day will be performed:
>>>      --all the expected spins have been created
>>>      --all the expected spins have been tested and work
>>>      --bittorrent links work
>>
>> Again, we should get rel-eng input. I would say the friday before
>> release? When RC is done? When bit links are made?
>>
>>> 6) Everything else that needs to be tracked and completed for a
>>> successful Fedora 14.
>>>      --File design/artwork requests?
>>
>> Good questions. Artwork and spins.fedoraproject.org dates would be
>> great. I guess we need to ask websites and art about what dates should
>> be there?
>>

> Yes, working with them to find out how much lead time they need is
> probably a great idea.  Then we can add some milestones to their
> schedule too so they can be thinking about it and preparing in advance.
>
> John

This thread appears to have died.  Who is the leader of the spins sig
these days and have regular meetings been re-established?

I'm concerned that if we do not set aside some time to reach a solid
schedule in the next week we run the risk of repeating some of the same
things that did not go well in Fedora 13.

John