[Fedora-spins] MIA spins

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Wed May 26 00:40:03 UTC 2010

Despite a posting to the lists earlier in the month[1] to check our
spin content, apparently no one caught the fact that there was no
Moblin spin among the release candidates.  At this point, we're going
to have to wait for mirrors to die down before we can consider
shipping a late copy.

I went to the Spins process page[2] to see where things might have gone
off track, and found that the page stated that after acceptance the
following step occurs:

"Spin added to a wiki page containing a table listing all of the spins
for Fedora X (very similar to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/11/FeatureList)"

Note that no one is responsible or accountable for it happening
according to the spin page, nor is the proper page listed.  I made
a change, so now the step reads:

"The Spins Wrangler adds the Spin to a wiki page containing a table
listing all of the spins for Fedora 14
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/14/Spins)"

This change is not a decree by any means, but it seemed like the most
effective way to ensure entries get made.

I can't help but think we would have caught this problem if there were
regular Spins meetings, or at least schedule items that indicate the
SIG should carry out a task like checking the list of Spins before RC
phase.  Earlier, I brought up the idea of entering a set of schedule
items.  Ideally, someone on the SIG will step up to gather that list
of dates for Fedora 14, and talk to John Poelstra to make sure the
dates get on the release schedule.  I'd also like to make sure we have
a clear spins wrangler who knows the responsibilities that come with
that role.  That person should check over the spins process page[2]
and find any places where it's not clear what the task is, and who is
responsible for doing it.

So -- who wants to gather the schedule and report it to John Poelstra
by around June 1?

Who is the current spins wrangler, and can that person go over the
page by around the same time, and bring questions to the list?

* * *
[1] http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/spins/2010-May/001131.html
[2] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Spins_Process