[Fedora-spins] MIA spins

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Sun May 30 20:25:03 UTC 2010

ok. Let me start off by saying that I don't know if I have time/energy
to be the spins wrangler, but I will step up to do it if we can't find
any other interested parties. ;)

(also note I am CC'ing John Poelstra on this email as he might have
input on the schedule I talk about below).

So, I would propose we mail fedora-devel-announce with a Job posting
for 'spins wrangler' and see if we get an interested party stepping up
to do the job. ;) If we don't in a week, I will step up to do it.

I would also like to propose some changes to the Spins process:

Our current process deals with accepting spins and getting review and
approvals, etc. Once thats done it seems like we just say "ok, you're
done, thanks for the ks file" and expect everything to go great. I
don't think this is fair to our users or a good idea. I would like us
to add:

- each spin for the cycle MUST have a contact email(s) for maintainers
  of that spin so we can contact them. (We could save this in a file in
  spins-kickstarts, etc).

- I think we should gateway any git commits to the kickstart files to
  our mailing list for added visibility.

- at some points in the development cycle we should REQUIRE a email or
  ACK from the maintainer of each spin. "My spin composes and has been
  tested by me or X others to work". This would include checking on
  sizes, etc. I think this points are up for discussion, but It might
  be nice to have them at: a week before Alpha, a week before Beta, at
  RC time before go/nogo, etc.

- I agree we should have hard dates added of things that the spins
  wrangler and/or spins maintainers, and/or rel-eng need to do with
  spins. Here's my rough take:

2010-06-01 - week after release, nightly composes start tracking
rawhide
2010-06-21 - All spins from previous cycle have updated wiki pages.
2010-07-06 - Deadline for submission of spins.
2010-07-27 - Feature Freeze/All spins known for release Wrangler
updates wiki/mails rel-eng/qa.
2010-07-27 - Spins wrangler requests bugzilla components for spins.
2010-08-03 - Alpha Change deadline - Go/No go from maintainers.
2010-09-07 - Beta Change deadline - Go/No go from maintainers.
2010-10-05 - Create spins-kickstarts package for release, branch git.
2010-10-05 - Spins ks Freeze. Only approved changes allowed.
2010-10-14 - RC Composes - Go/No go from maintainers.

This is missing "Spin maintainers submit text and screenshots for
spins.fedoraproject.org". When should that occur?

- I would like to have our next meeting (which would normally be
  tomorrow, but thats a holiday, so the following week) have a
  retrospective and see if there are other things we can improve.

Thoughts?

kevin