[Fedora-spins] Robotics Spin

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Tue Nov 16 21:18:16 UTC 2010

On Tue, Nov 16, 2010 at 13:34:02 -0500,
  Tim Niemueller <tim at niemueller.de> wrote:

> Is there webspace or anything that can be used for ISOs if we
> release it by ourselves? Is there any way to get it out onto the
> mirrors? How do other SIGs do it, and who maintains
> spins.fedoraproject.org? I have seen mainly torrent addresses. Is
> that the central way of distributing a spin then?

I think part of the point is that teh demand for that ISO is likely to be so
low, that we may not want it going out to the mirrors on release day.
Where else it might go, would be a good topic for the upcoming Fudcon.
fedorapeople or fedorahosted might be possible places. Note that people
can easily make their own ISOs using your kickstart file.

> I always liked the idea of spins. I haven't used many regularly, but
> it allows to provide a focused subset of functionality, and
> especially the "give-away" aspect for specific target groups seems
> important. It's much nicer having a single point of information (and
> something that you can use and try) for a specific field, than
> telling someone "Install Fedora, than install package X and you have
> sorta what we mean". The barrier of just trying something out,
> especially to attract new people to Fedora, is much lower with a
> LiveCD, that you can stick into your laptop or VM.

There has been some talk of having a way to install a spin on top of an
existing installation. Though I don't think it has been defined as exactly
what that would mean. A lot of spins are packages, but there are some things
outside of packages as well.

> What is the further procedure for the Spin then? You look over it
> and give some kind of pre-approval? Does the FESCo-thing still
> happen?

That has yet to be decided. For now follow the previous procedure. If we
get close to a deadline without things having been for at least the short
term, we can still talk to FESCO and Releng about it.

> From what it looks like we should concentrate on the F15 feature and
> the spin is a collateral effect of that?

That's kind of a FESCO thing. They may decide it's not a feature, but really
a spin. The nice thing about asking them about it now as a feature, is that
they'll have some background for making a decision about the spin.