[Fedora-spins] Converting the legacy sysv init script for livesys and livesys-late service

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Aug 5 11:00:45 UTC 2011

Greetings

I'm currently looking at converting the legacy sysv init script that get
created by the ks files to a native systemd unit files for the spins and
at the same time looking into tuning the boot up process for live runs.

Now instead of cluttering the ks file with creation of the unit and the
tuning I have moved this into a seperated package which each spin would
have to install at install time( if accepted as an solution since this
is in a package it will be a change in your current workflow ) and
ofcourse -$package that other ks. would pull in.

I have created a Proof Of Concept package for LXDE contains the
following...

Tweaking parts in the spec file to disable service that are not needed
to run on the live image.
( note this is just an example for what can be achieved rather than what
should be done system analyze plot shows lxde booting up in 55 seconds
and ofcourse you can just delete that tweaking section from the spec
file along with removing the relevant "restore-service-state" section in
it if you dont want to tweak the bootup at all  )
2 unit files livesys.service and livesys-late.service that both disable
itself after being run  ( which the legacy sysv did not do )
2 scripts that are simply the legacy syv init scripts standalone as
created for lxde in the ks.file
1 script that restores what got disable when the package got installed
which ( in theory ) should a user install the live image and or run a
live image with persistent storage those services will be available to
him after install ( and by available I mean running as they would have
been on the livecd before tweakin ) or encase of live usb with
persistent storage on the next reboot.

I was planning on having a working POC before posting this but
unfortunately the LXDE owner has been unresponsive both on irc and
private mail I sent him but to not keep this discussion from happening
since moving this stuff into a package is a change in spins workflow I
decide to post this here to get the discussion going.

If someone has the time to actually test this with me and see if this is
achievable et all then mention that on this thread and or contact me
privatly and I will convert your spins and create a (s)rpm which you
would just install.

Thanks.

JBG