[Fedora-spins] RFC:Fedora Scientific Spin

Amit Saha droidery at gmail.com
Sun Jul 3 03:18:11 UTC 2011

Hello:

On 07/03/2011 07:50 AM, A. Mani wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 1:40 PM, Amit Saha<droidery at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Hello all:
>>
>> I am creating a Fedora spin for researchers and have previously
>> discussed this idea on the developers and release engineering mailing
>> list. However, with the hope that my spin will be officially accepted
>> for future releases, I am going to follow the process listed in [1].
>> As a first step, this email.
>

> 1. create a page in fedora-wiki for the spin incl information on
> proposed packages and things to be added

Done: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Scientific_Spin

Shall look forward to comments/queries and suggestions.

> I believe you want it to make it an official spin only, but still
> anything below 4.2GB will be missing too much. Also consider making an
> unofficial spin ....

As far as my current plan with the spin goes, achieving 4.2G might be a
little difficult, since I dont intend to include domain specific tools.
However, that might change with more eyeballs looking at it and
suggesting more "generic" packages. I am also in touch with the SciTech
SIG members and in the process of reviving the mailing list.

The kickstart file is already tested, and the ISO builds alright.
However, haven't been able to test it properly since the rawhide repo
seems to be quite unstable atm.

Thanks for your comments/suggestions and will look forward to further ideas.

Best,
Amit
--
echo $RAND: http://echorand.me