[Fedora-spins] Spin ready for approval

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Jan 7 18:15:22 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 07, 2013 at 18:58:30 +0100,
   Brendan Jones <brendan.jones.it at gmail.com> wrote:

>I'm not pointing fingers at releng here and I understand the work
>involved but I must say that this really saddens me. This project was
>part of the GSOC under my mentorship and my student performed all
>tasks well within projected deadlines for F18 (before the numerous
>delays). All steps outlined in the Spins process were followed to the
>letter.

The kickstart file will still be available even if there isn't a posted
ISO. Also if you set up a comps group as part of this, it will be easy
for people to install the set of packages.

The main value of the release live ISOs is for demoing. If you are really
using the stuff, you normally want the package set installed on top of
whatever desktop you are using. Even for people who really use live images
for real work, there is value in rebuilding these regularly to get updates.

>The GSOC project as a whole was managed really well this year by
>Buddhike and co. I think the whole Spins process this time round
>reflects really poorly on Fedora's commitment to embracing new
>contributors and is quite frankly a kick in the face to the student
>who put in so much hard work over the summer.

The spins group is understaffed. If you wanted to try to run that process
you'd probably be given reign to do it. You'd get some help from other
people, but you'd end up doing most of the cat herding yoruself.