[Fedora-spins] spins in f19

Christoph Wickert christoph.wickert at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 13:53:54 UTC 2013

Am Freitag, den 25.01.2013, 13:54 -0700 schrieb Kevin Fenzi:
> So, we had a fudcon session about spins, but it was merged with the
> talk on Fedora Formulas and we didn't really decide anything about
> spins.

Glad to hear that.

I saw the session on Youtube and I disagree to a lot that was said. I
think it's good that things are not set in stone yet.

> Formulas aren't going to fully replace spins, and even if they do, they
> likely won't be ready for f19 anyhow, so we need to figure out what we
> do for f19 now.
>
> a) what about the new spins that didn't get added in f18?
> If their spin owners are actually active, they should chime in and
> commit their ks to git and update the f19 spins page with their size
> and so releng knows to produce them.
>
> b) Any new spins need to SUBMIT THEIR KS FILES ASAP so we can avoid
> problems where things don't make it.
>
> c) There's no meetings, Christoph is swamped, how do we want to handle
> the day to day business of the sig?

Fortunately I'm not *that* swamped any longer and I am currently working
on our trac to move the spin reviews from the wiki to the track
instance.

> I was thinking we should require at each freeze point that any spins we
> promote on spins.fedoraproject.org have at least 2 people sign off that
> they tested them and they basically work. If 0 people do this sign off,
> we should still produce them, but they sit in alt and don't get
> promoted anywhere. If a spin doesn't get any testing for an entire
> cycle, we drop them completely.

Makes sense, but IHMO dropping a spin will only make things
worse.Without live media, there is no easy way to test things and the in
the end, things that received little testing will be tested even less.
It seems that even KDE didn't get proper testing this time and I think
we all agree we cannot drop it.

I think we need to work on fixing the process. Dropping a spin is only
the last resort.

Kind regards,
Christoph