[Fedora-spins] spins in f19

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 18:52:37 UTC 2013

On 27 January 2013 15:40, Christoph Wickert <christoph.wickert at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Second we need to get the owners of the spins take responsibility of
>> them and keep them up to date. Sending stuff off 6 releases ago that
>> no-one checks out just says that spins are where that data goes off to
>> die.
>
> Yes and no. The Design Suite for example shouldn't have been published
> as it was unmaintained. Luya took over maintainership after the release,
> so we cannot blame him.

Oh I don't blame him. I just think that we spend too much of our time
in Fedora doing a lot of Heroic saves where it might be better to kill
it off. We have too many people seeing a package, spin, etc being
abandoned and then stepping in and taking it without really looking at
"Does this really need to be kept?" I think Spins especially can NOT
rely on one person per release but each needs a team of people in
charge of it. And if a SIG or group doesn't want to do that.. why do
we keep it?

> On the other hand I feel we apply double standards. Have a look at the
> Desktop live media. The desktop team only changes the package selection
> or some configuration here and there, but if something is really (about
> to be) broken, it's usually fixed by someone from rel-eng. The desktop
> team hardly does any testing by themselves, instead QA does a lot.
>
> I feel this is kind of unfair. Given how little attention the spins get
> and the limited resources we have, it's not surprisingsome of them are
> not in good shape.

OH I am in perfect agreement here. I would put any and all Spins on
the proverbial chopping block if they aren't being backed by a team of
people who are actually fixing things versus leaving them to be fixed
by others.