[Fedora-suds-list] Ty were in high spirits; for the little Maud had

Risler pragmatists at sandman.ca
Fri Aug 28 14:53:10 UTC 2009

W ship, about five hundred feet long, and others nearly as large. "This
big ditch across the isthmus has an average width of three hundred feet,
or two hundred less than the length of the Ophir. She could not,
therefore, get across the channel. There is a current in this water, and
fierce winds sometimes blow across it, and both of these affect the
inertia of the vessels. A comparatively small steamer like the
Guardian-Mother can be twisted about by these causes, and her bow or her
stern may catch on the sloping sides." "You have made out your case,
Captain Ringgold; and the moral is that general truths are not
invariably true," said Uncle Moses good-naturedly. "I only hope we shall
not get aground," added Mrs. Belgrave. "We are fairly started now, and
we have Lake Menzaleh on one side, and a low sandy plain, once covered
with water, on the other," continued the commander. "It is difficult to
believe that the swamp and lagoon on the starboard were once covered
with fertile fields, watered by two of the branches of the Nile, where
wheat was raised in abundance, from which Rome and other countries were
supplied with food." "What vast flocks of birds!" exclaimed Mrs.
Woolridge. "Those are flamingoes, just rising from their resting-place,"
added the captain. "They were white just now as we looked at them;
notice the color of