[Fedora-suds-list] Handling of complex return values

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 05:08:14 UTC 2010

Hi,

In our project, we're using two different sets of web services,
written by two different organisations. I think both are written in
Java, but that's not necessarily saying much.

In one of the cases, we have a method like getFoo(). Suds has found a
complex type getFooResponse. This has an attribute 'response', of a
complex type fooData (also found by Suds) that is specific to the
method and contains various attributes.

In the other service, we have a method like getBar(). The return value
is being listed as getBarResponse. This has an attribute 'return', of
a complex type barData (also found by Suds) that is specific to the
method and contains various attributes.

Interestingly, when we call the first service, we get back the
getFooResponse complex object, and we have to do
'getFooResponse.response' to get the real fooData object we're
interested in. In the second service, Suds seems to do this unpacking
for us, so the return value is a barData directly, and to my knowledge
we don't use the getBarResponse complex type anywhere.

Why are these two services behaving differently?

Cheers,
Martin