[Fedora-suds-list] Null/optional items in complex types

Joshua J. Kugler joshua at eeinternet.com
Fri May 7 16:13:54 UTC 2010

On Friday 07 May 2010, Martin Aspeli elucidated thus:
> >> Ah, I didn't realise it supported __getitem__ as well as
> >> __getattr__. Does it also support .get()?
> >
> > No, sorry.  Although rare, I didn't want to hide a real <get/>
> > attribute.
>
> Yeah, makes sense.
>
> To be honest, I think it'd have been better to choose either
> attribute or dict notation. Having both is confusing and leads to
> divergent practices and documentation. Zope 2 made that mistake with
> various things (like request keys) and it was never a good idea.

FWIW, I like the choice.  Key notation is useful for cycling through a
list of keys, and attribute notation is nice when you know your list of
attributes before hand, and makes for cleaner code.  But you are right:
it does require a coding standard to be in place.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0x73B13B6A