[Fedora-suds-list] The client timeout value seems to have a 180 second maximum.

Joe Goldthwaite joe at goldthwaites.com
Wed Aug 17 19:09:27 UTC 2011

I've been working on getting around the timeout problem I posted earlier.  I
thought that my problem was due to using Python 2.4.  I've since done some
testing with Python 2.7 and PyPy 1.6.  Both of them have the same behavior.

Here's the scenario. I run this line to create the client;

    client = Client(wsdl)

I set up the filters to the service that I'm calling so that it will
retrieve a large amount of data. When I run the service it times out after
90 seconds.  Next I try creating the client by adding a timeout value.

    client = Client(wsdl, timeout=120)

Now the service times out after about 120 seconds.  Finally I try this;

    client = Client(wsdl, timeout=240)

The service times out at 180 seconds.  It doesn't matter what timeout value
I use. Anything above 180 is the same.

I tried setting the default socket value to a large number like this;

     import socket
     socket.setdefaulttimeout(240)

After that can look at the socket.getdefaulttimeout() and verify that it's
set to 240.  I tried that and then tried to create the client again without
setting the timeout.  According to the documentation, not setting the
timeout causes it to use the global default but even if the global default
is 240, the suds timeout is 90.

Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Joe Goldthwaite