[Fedora-suds-list] Current state of suds

Ido Barkan ido at cloudshare.com
Tue Jul 23 11:04:11 UTC 2013

Hi guys,
We are currently trying to use suds and are bumping into a few performance
problems.
We assume that this is largely due to the very heavy wsdl (vmware vsphere
soap api).

   1. Do you have any better experience and/or comments about the forked
   projects performance?
   2. We think that the best performance improvement is to replace the xml
   parser layer of suds with a C one.
      1. what do you think?
      2. was this done in one of the forked projects?

Thanks,
Ido

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:33 PM, Mathieu Dupuy <deronnax at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM, Jurko Gospodnetić
> <jurko.gospodnetic at pke.hr> wrote:
> >   Hi.
> >

> >> We saw several forks :
> >>
> >> https://bitbucket.org/daevaorn/suds-ews/
> >> suds-jurko
> >>
> >> I think it would be nice to refer to the suds version to use on the
> >> official suds page, and if the repository displayed on the official page
> >> is no more the most accurate one, maybe list another repository in the
> >> TRAC or at least add a link to the most useable suds version.
> >

> >   Not really sure if there is anyone administering the main suds project
> any
> > more, so it becomes questionable what the 'official suds page' is or
> > represents.
> >

> >> Currently, suds is the main SOAP Python client that we can use and
> >> looking at the official page, no changes for years, it seems dead...
> >> And in fact it is not...
> >>
> >> What could be done about this?
> >

> >   Well, I may be wrong but I do believe the SUDS project, as originally
> > developed, is dead, most likely due to having a single central developer
> > whose goals in life stopped including work on SUDS (and this is just me
> > guessing, I have not detailed info on this).
> >
> >   On the other hand, the project has had a lot of quality work put into
> it,
> > and generally 'just plain works and does what you'd like it to do'. Since
> > this is so, and since Python is such a great language to hack around in -
> > people find it simple to fork the project, quick-fix whatever is needed
> > satisfy their local itch, and use that. That would be my guess on why
> there
> > are now many forks laying around.
> >
> >   Note that each of those forks has been prepared by different
> developers,
> > of different skill levels and with differing goals in mind. Also, there
> is
> > no 'central entity' in charge of synchronizing such patches ... it's a
> true
> > bazaar... :-)
> >
> >   That means the whole project's future will be one of the following:
> >
> > 1. It dies.
> >   Possible if some other usable SOAP web service calling solution becomes
> > available in Python.
> >
> > 2. One of the forks gets enough traction by finding someone interested
> > enough to back further quality work on it.
> >   Always a possibility, but never a certainty - developers change
> interests,
> > and, unless financially backed, need to spend most of their time on their
> > day job whose goals may or may not coincide with working on suds, etc.
> >   And if something like this does happen - there is no guarantee that the
> > project does not end up in the same state as the original one at some
> later
> > time - and possibly serves as a basis for another cycle. :-)
> >
> > 3. Things stay the same - we basically have one unchangeable central
> [...]

Ido Barkan
SW engineer,  CloudShare

CloudShare, Ltd.
http://www.CloudShare.com
Replicate & Share Entire IT Environments, Online