Coding test

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Mar 18 21:38:49 UTC 2010

> 1. Cook one up ourselves.
> 2. Borrow a FLOSS or public domain test but not announce what it is.

<braindump>
There are several kinds of informal tests that one can do.

There's "can you function in the sort of development environment you'll
need?" This is what we did for Sugar Labs last summer, and it worked well:
http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/Student_application_template#Miscellaneous

There's "can you work with and within a community?" test, which could be
a "you must talk about your app with a mentor, here are times they'll be
on IRC, provide a log" sort of thing.

Then there's the "can you code" test, which can be "send links to source
code (stuff from class ok)."

Generally, I try to go for low overhead, which means stuff that the
student probably has done already, and stuff that's easy to evaluate at
a glance (for instance, the Sugar Labs exercise was "look at their
screenshot, does it have their name in it? ok!")

</braindump>

--Mel