meeting results 2010-03-24

Karsten Wade kwade at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 17:12:09 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 05:03:25PM +0100, Jaroslav Reznik wrote:
> On Thursday 25 March 2010 11:25:07 Heiko W.Rupp wrote:
> > Am 24.03.2010 um 17:20 schrieb Karsten Wade:
> > > # need to set deadline for school participation
> > > # need to set specific list of what a school needs to decide/figure
> > >
> > >  out before deadline
> >
> > This is an interesting one - especially also since the semester / vacation
> > times are different in US / Germany / ...
> > Especially for students of German Universities of applied science, the GSoC
> > dates were not optimal.
>
> You will never fulfill the needs of all students, we should set deadlines that
> suits most of our !participating! students (depending on uni schedule). I was
> thinking about GSoC while I was student but the schedule indeed did not fit my
> needs :(

One interesting outcome of doing a summer coding as a silo with each
school is that we can adjust to fit their schedule (for the most
part.)

If you haven't seen this post and video, it extrapolates the model
from Google's SoC for summer coding in general:

http://blog.melchua.com/2010/03/04/summer-of-code-swimchart-now-with-more-generic/

Watch that thinking about each school as part of a unique sponsorship
pool.  A sponsorship pool could include corporate and university
sponsors, pulling resources (people to do the work, money for
students, stipends or room/board from schools, etc.)

- Karsten