Proposal: Java API changes checker

Alexander Mezin mezin.alexander at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 09:40:57 UTC 2012

Hello.
I've created a proposal at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Alexandermezin/Java_API_changes_checker

I propose an utility that will be able to automatically generate
information about classes/methods inside the .jars and classes/methods
required by the .jars, and check if all of the dependencies are
satisfied. Additionally, it will be able to list all known
dependencies of some .jar. Checking of API changes that break
something is only one of possible use cases.

I've just read Vipul Amler's proposal on the same project idea:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Vipulnsward/Java_API-ABI_Checker

Main differences from his proposed project:
1. If I'm not mistaken, he focuses on listing API changes only. I
propose a tool that will generate list of dependencies from class
files/jars/packages - useful for package maintainers.
2. I will implement it in Java. I think that it's better to write
tools for Java in Java itself.