Mentors - start commenting in Melange

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Tue Apr 3 16:28:24 UTC 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM, Karsten 'quaid' Wade <kwade at redhat.com> wrote:

> We need to move ALL of our commenting to the Melange site.

Yes. The window till 06Apr2012 is when the students can use the
feedback to tune the proposals and, using the Melange system also
enables the GSoC Program Team to do a check on how things are going in
terms of initiating and continuing discussions with the
students/candidates.

> Students should have a chance to get all comments in one location.
> Then they can modify their proposals in response to one set of comments.

And, mentors other than the potential mentor can also chime in. It
adds value because allows the student and the mentor to have a wider
perspective.

> I'm not sure if students can modify their proposal after the deadline.
> If so, then there is no panic. But if not, then it's *crucial* we get
> comments in there right away so students can respond in the proposals.

As far as my reading of the program guidelines go, they cannot. So it
is critical that Melange be used.

> Also, I think we may want to start giving our own scores to proposals
> so we can begin to see the order of quality. I think we've done that
> in the past. But I don't know if it's fair to do that before proposals
> are done? (Sankarshan, your thoughts?)

Even if you don't want to score before 06Apr2012, the mentors should
be discussing with the organization administrator about the strong
proposals ie. proposals which have a higher confidence of achieving
success. This allows the org admin to maintain communication with the
team at Google should there be a requirement to request more slots.

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<http://sankarshan.randomink.org/blog/>