Things to do with GSOC

Mo Morsi mmorsi at redhat.com
Mon Mar 19 12:27:33 UTC 2012

On 03/17/2012 05:33 PM, Susmit wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM, Buddhike Kurera
> <bckurera at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>> Dear mentors and contributors,
>>
>> As you all aware we have made the first milestone. Thanks for the support.
>> I seek your ideas and comments on following topics, please feel free.
>> The talk page of the wiki page also can be used for discussions.
>>
>> x Deadline for submission of ideas - March 26, 1859 UTC (from March
>> 26, 1900 UTC student application will open)
>> x Application for the students can be found at the students' guide[1]
>>
>> [1] https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_Guide_students

Buddhike, again thanks for all the hard work. The submission deadline
seems reasonable.

> "Create your single application page" and "Draft your proposal"
> looks redundant and can be merged together.
>
> Thanks.

Yes, these sections do appear a little confusing to me as well, perhaps
merging them into one with the following steps would be a little more
clear (open for revisions, can put this on the wiki if you want)

1) login to the fedoraproject.org/wiki using your Fedora Account Credentials

2) Navigate to  the following URL,  replacing <UserName> with your
fedora username

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=GSOC_2012/Student_Application_<UserName>&action=edit

3) Populate the form on this page with the contents of the following,
filling in the necessary details:

https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Template/Common&action=edit

(make sure to _omit_ the <pre> tags)

4) save the page and then click 'watch this page' at the top

5) Navigate to the following URL, replacing <UserName> with your fedora
username and <ProposalName> with the name of your proposal

 https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=GSOC_2012/Student_Application_<Username>/<ProposalName>&action=edit

6) Populate the form on this page with the contents of the following,
filling in the necessary details

 https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Template/Proposal&action=edit

(make sure to _omit_ the <pre> tags)

7) Save the page and then click 'watch this page' at the top

8) Repeat steps 5-7 for additional proposals you would like to submit

If you need help visit
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2012#Communication  and/or view the
sample proposal at
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2012/Student_Application_Bckurera/sample_wiki