Fwd: Regarding "Assemble a toolchain for recording screencasts easily"

Nehal J. Wani nehaljw.kkd1 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 10:44:30 UTC 2013

Hello Guys!

          I'm a CS Undergrad in India and currently in my sophomore year of
college. I am good in python, bash, C, C++, php, javascript. This summer I
am looking forward to take part in the projects proposed by Fedora for
gsoc. Following projects sounded interesting to me:

1. Assemble a toolchain for recording screencasts easily

I've made quite a few screencasts for my blog and posted them on youtube.
These were made on Windows and Linux using open-source software (majorly
ffmpeg). You can find them
here<http://www.youtube.com/playlist?feature=edit_ok&list=PL5B2F7BFE7F525EF9>.
I even made one on how to make a screencast on Linux which you can
find here<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-ry-f3Mpx4&list=PL5B2F7BFE7F525EF9&index=2>.
I love making these tutorials as and when I find time. In fedora there are
a lot of things which are difficult for a beginner to learn and he always
either has to google it or ask his teachers. It would be really cool to
have a set of video tutorials for various do-hows and an independent
recording software explicitly for fedora. Recently I've used blender for
creating 3-D models of my OpenGL Game [Part of a project for my Graphics
Course]. I would like to learn more about gstreamer and video,
audio editing.

I've tried contacting the Fedora-Videos-Team. But didn't receive any reply.

2. Implement a unit test framework for fedpkg and rpk

The project sounds interesting as I love python and would like to put my
python skills to good use.  However, the details about the project are not
very clear. I request the mentor to update or post a link so that a student
can read more.

3. Dorrie: A web-interface for building Fedora spins/remixes

This project has been left untouched and no body took it up in GSoc 2012.
However, it has an appreciable amount of contribution by the mentor and I
would love to take part in it as I am good in python and have knowledge of
python-based web framework web2py [It won't take much time for me to learn
Django for this project].

4. Fedora Gooey Karma

The project has already been implemented by one of the fedora-qa members. I
don't understand why it is still here in the list. Please update it if more
features are to be added. I find this interesting because I am looking
forward to learn GUI building using python.

My coding style in C/C++ programming can be seen
here<https://github.com/nehaljwani/AdventureWorld> [Which
is a 3-D game developed with the help of a little OOP and OpenGL] and for
python. you can find it
here<http://commandlinewani.blogspot.in/2012/04/robo-bomb-defuser.html>
[Which
is another game involving a Robot using ncurses library and a bit of OOP].

Please do tell me whether I am eligible for the any of the above projects
and how can I contribute to it as a gsoc or non-gsoc candidate.

Thanking You,
Nehal J. Wani
UG2, BTech CS+MS(CL)
IIIT-Hyderabad