Waartaa project proposal submission

Sankarshan Mukhopadhyay sankarshan.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Wed Mar 19 14:00:35 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 4:33 PM, Souradeep De <souradeep.2011 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am interested in working in GSOC 2014, and have added my project proposal
> on the fedora wiki. Here is the link:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2014/Student_Application_souradeep
> Having done with adding my proposal to the wiki, I would like to have the
> link to add my project proposal.

I was reading through
<https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/GSOC_2014/Student_Application_souradeep#Proposal_Description>
and wanted to make a small set of comments

[+] traditionally, IRC has been using the lists of available channels
but not a dashboard of active conversations. So, a live-stream of
conversations is an interesting take on /list

[+] IRC channels have mostly frowned upon active logging and archiving
except for specific usage models eg. meetings (where MeetBot is the
most prolific logging mechanism)

[+] "A JSON API, meant to be used by other IRC clients, so that they
never lose a message even when they get disconnected." - there exist
standard methods by which communication protocols maintain active
presence. The XMPP protocol stack would provide adequate reference and
implementation detail. Are you planning to wrap a similar existing
piece within a JSON stream?

[+] "Elastic search will be implemented, which will help developers
search through IRC logs for content easily, making their lives a lot
easier. " This is a statement which talks about implementation detail
without providing much rationale about the choice. What makes you
settle on Elastic Search and what impact does this have on a
deployment architecture of Waartaa?

Your proposal lays out the basic line of thoughts but does not
demonstrate much understanding of the current state of Waartaa or, the
future direction? Have you had the time to discuss with the developers
and validate your approach and choices?

--
sankarshan mukhopadhyay
<https://twitter.com/#!/sankarshan>