[Test-Announce] Fedora 22 nightly compose 2014-12-08 nominated for testing

Adam Williamson adamwill at fedoraproject.org
Tue Dec 9 03:06:53 UTC 2014

Hi, folks. So after this morning's meeting, I worked today to implement
nightly build support in the mediawiki template magic and in relval. We
don't yet have the bits to listen out for composes, create the results
pages when anaconda packages change, and send out automated announce
mails, but we can now create results pages for nightly composes and
report results for them using relval.

So to kick things off, I've put up the first set of nightly result pages
for Fedora 22:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Installation
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Base
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Desktop
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Server
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Cloud
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Test_Results:Fedora_22_20141208_Summary

You'll notice the instructions section has what *should* be valid
download links for the nightly network install images, and links to Koji
searches for lives and cloud/ARM images.

Just to recap, the idea here is that we try to get good coverage on the
testing as early as possible, with the goal of giving the developers -
especially the anaconda developers - longer to work on the critical
issues. The earlier we identify and report the blocker issues, the
earlier they can get fixed, the better the fixes should be (as they'll
have more time to nail them down well), and the less time we should
spend on emergency last minute test/hack/argue cycles.

This may go along with a possible anaconda plan to freeze development
around Alpha time, in order to reduce the amount of churn and
regressions that occur post-Alpha, which would also make our lives
easier and should hopefully mean that we'd spend a lot of time after
Alpha reporting passes. But I think having the infrastructure for doing
the early testing is useful whether or not that comes to pass.

Over the rest of the week I'll try and work with roshi to get the other
envisioned bits done. In the future we can try and hook smoke testing
into this, so DOA images don't get 'nominated' for testing, but we don't
have that yet. I thought about clever mechanisms for noting that a build
is DOA, but I think for now we can go with the low-tech one - if you
test a 'nominated' nightly and hit a bug that looks like a complete
showstopper, just mail the list with a note so other testers know not to
waste their time.

The changes for this stuff are only in relval/wikitcms git master right
now, but I'll try and get a new release out this evening.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey