Trying to run Severn 2.4.21 kernel with RH 9.

Barry K. Nathan barryn at pobox.com
Fri Aug 1 07:08:35 UTC 2003

On Fri, Aug 01, 2003 at 12:17:46AM -0400, Scott Garman wrote:
> Can anyone explain to me why this isn't working? Could it have something
> to do with the threading library, which apparently the Severn kernel is
> compiled against?

The problem is that the Severn kernel has ExecShield, and Red Hat 9's
XFree86 is incompatible with that. The most secure way to fix it is to
install Severn's XFree86 as well. If you don't want to do that, you can
use chstk (I think it's in Severn's kernel-utils) to disable non-exec
stack on /usr/X11R6/bin/XFree86 (or wherever the XFree86 binary is, I'm
typing this e-mail off the top of my head).

There's also a file somewhere under /proc that can be used to disable
ExecShield, but I don't remember the name right now and at this moment I
don't have time to look it up.

Does this help?

-Barry K. Nathan <barryn at pobox.com>