updates

Michael Young betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net
Fri Aug 1 23:54:17 UTC 2003

Thanks for the reply Robert...

> My experience is, anytime 2-4 weeks after the release of a beta, there
> are updates available for it through RHN. These can come to almost 500
> Mb worth of updates, which is nearly a full size 700 Mb CD. Then a while
> later a second beta (that means a whole new set of iso's to burn) might
> be released, and then another set of updates through RHN, again massive
> in size. Then an nth public beta (more iso's), with the update cycle
> repeating. That has been the pattern for the last two betas I've done.

I guess I'll keep my eye out for the little red dot in the corner of my
screen then. This has actually been a really stable beta for me. I have
only been bitten once, by the ACPI/intel E100 bug, which was easily
worked around. I mainly asked because the updates are pouring out for
taroon, which I am also running.

> There is a published timetable for Severn, which I believe is something
> new. You can consult that to get a sense of when to expect updates and a
> new set of iso images.

I always look forward to downloading ~2GB of data. Makes my hardware
earn its keep. :)

> As to entitlements, I've always felt that beta testers ought to get a
> free double entitlement to RHN just for the beta, and for just the beta
> period. This includes testers who already have paid RHN subscriptions. I
> don't want to use my paid-for entitlements for the beta. I would rather
> reserve those for my "production" machines. I guess this is RHN's way of
> getting people to use their own cash to pay for part of the costs of the
> beta.

I am mostly a home user, with the exception of a network management
machine I play with at work, so, I really don't have any "production"
systems. I purchased a couple entitlements to keep my home network
updated, and to contribute a few $$ to Red Hat. I have yet to find a
distro I like as much. Thanks for all the hard work everyone!