updates

Michael Young betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net
Sun Aug 3 16:11:37 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 09:49, Jef Spaleta wrote:

> Don't buy rhn entitlements for beta systems...I don't think yer going to
> find any official statement from any redhat employee saying this is a
> good idea.  It's not a good idea...there is in fact very little value in
> it. During a beta you aren't promised one single security update...one
> single bugfix update...one single enhancement update.
>
> >...or to make those
> >entitlements useful and worth using while in beta test mode.

I have *NEVER* stated I bought entitlements for the beta. I purchased
them for a released version. Besides, RHN would be a great way for RH to
notify the beta testers a BUGFIX has been applied to a package. Then we
could all quickly and easily get it and test it.

Having to add myself to the CC list on every bug report in Bugzilla just
so I can stay informed of the status of a bug is time consuming, and a
poor method of passing information in my opinion.

> It is useful...even with no packages.  You watch the little update icon
> and you wait...and wait and wait.  Think of this as approximating how
> rhn will handle a perfectly stable and secure linux distribution. It's
> all in how you look at it.

The other thing I keep forgetting to mention is updates are only 50% of
what up2date can do. I use it all the time to add new packages to my
currently running install. It's nice, because it solves deps for me, and
I don't have to dig out the cds and figure out which cd has the package
I need. And, because it is included, I don't have to run over to Fedora
or Freshrpms and get apt or yum, and configure them for what I want.

The current "add/remove applications" program is badly broken, and is to
restrictive of what I can install. If RH had just put the rpms on the
channel, I probably never would have started this thread.

--
Michael Young <betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net>