console.perms + <xconsole> + init 3 problem

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Sun Aug 3 16:21:01 UTC 2003

(I'm on RH 9 right now, so this might not be the case in Severn. If so, please
disregard.)

/etc/makedev.d/linux-2.4.x contains device nodes for /dev/nvidia*, which are
created with $CONSOLE as permission. But /dev/nvidia* fall under the <dri>
category in console.perms, and <dri> is only modified when a user logs in via
<xconsole>, which to me seems to be a display manager.

The problem arises when you boot to init 3, log in on ttyX, and run startx.
/dev/nvidia* stay 0600 root:root, and openGL apps don't run.

There is an easy workaround, namely remove the x from <xconsole> to make
nvidia devices fall under the <console> category, but there might be
downsides to that, or a better, more general approach (I'm no expert on pam).
I've tried fiddling with the globs for <console> and <xconsole>, adding
pts/[0-9] and so on, but to no avail. Anyone good with PAM configuration that
have a suggestion?

/Peter