RHN Updates

Matthew Winter wintermi at teratools.com
Sun Aug 3 16:48:05 UTC 2003

Hi,

Since RedHat has now moved to a community based RHL project, in general
this means no more support. RedHat however will not want to loose this
revenue source, however small it might have been.

I would like to see RedHat enhance the RHN into a subscription based
Package Install / Update / Search system.

Something cross between Synaptic, the Lindows Click2Run and the current
RHN update facility.

I for one would subscribe to such a service, to guarentee that packages
have been properly compiled for a specific release of RHL, and tested.

I also think that the software should allow you to choose from Stable
and Test releases. Allowing a user to decide what they want to install.

Having such a tool would improve the value of the RHN, and provide
RedHat and the community with a means to test packages before the next
Beta ISO is released.

Just my 2 pence worth on the subject.

Matthew