RHN Updates

Michael Young betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net
Sun Aug 3 17:06:38 UTC 2003

On Sun, 2003-08-03 at 10:48, Matthew Winter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since RedHat has now moved to a community based RHL project, in general
> this means no more support. RedHat however will not want to loose this
> revenue source, however small it might have been.
>
> I would like to see RedHat enhance the RHN into a subscription based
> Package Install / Update / Search system.
>
> Something cross between Synaptic, the Lindows Click2Run and the current
> RHN update facility.
>
> I for one would subscribe to such a service, to guarentee that packages
> have been properly compiled for a specific release of RHL, and tested.
>
> I also think that the software should allow you to choose from Stable
> and Test releases. Allowing a user to decide what they want to install.
>
> Having such a tool would improve the value of the RHN, and provide
> RedHat and the community with a means to test packages before the next
> Beta ISO is released.
>
> Just my 2 pence worth on the subject.
>
> Matthew

I imagine you about to get a million reasons from Mr. Spaleta as to why
this will *NEVER* happen. And he might even try to make you feel like an
idiot for even suggesting it.

Now, if you will excuse me, I must find my asbestos suit before the
flames ensue.

--
Michael Young <betatest at gnucode.kicks-ass.net>