kernel-2.6.0-test2 glacially slow eth transmitting when iptables modules are insmodded

Thomas J. Baker tjb at unh.edu
Tue Aug 5 15:15:09 UTC 2003

Is it a known problem that on my e1000 interface, if iptables type
modules are insmodded, my outgoing traffic slows to a crawl?

Modules in question:

ip_nat_irc              5360  0
ip_nat_ftp              6000  0
iptable_nat            24996  4 ipt_MASQUERADE,ip_nat_irc,ip_nat_ftp
ip_conntrack_irc       72340  1 ip_nat_irc
ip_conntrack_ftp       73236  1 ip_nat_ftp
ip_conntrack           31788  6
ipt_MASQUERADE,ip_nat_irc,ip_nat_ftp,iptable_nat,ip_conntrack_irc,ip_conntrack_ftp
ip_tables              19712  2 ipt_MASQUERADE,iptable_nat

Without them, I get normal 100Mbs type transfers approaching 10MB/s but
with them installed, I'm getting closer to 50KB/s. If I remove the
modules, things get better. (I need though them so my ipaq can talk to
the rest of the world.) Or is this just an old software/new kernel
problem?

I'm running 2.6.0-0.test2.1.29smp on a dual 3.0GHz Dell 650N.

Thanks,

tjb
| Thomas Baker                                  email: tjb at unh.edu    |