How do I shut down this ports

Michael Kearey mutk at iprimus.com.au
Wed Aug 6 08:20:58 UTC 2003

Louis Garcia wrote:
> 111/tcp    open        sunrpc
> 6000/tcp   open        X11
>
> Should these be open be default?
>

> --

In case you really must, I found in the man page for Xserver the option :
        -nolisten trans-type
		disables a transport type.  For example, TCP/IP
		connections can be disabled with -nolisten tcp.

The consequences of doing so , and where in the X configuration files
you might actually put it, I don't yet know... I have been trying to
find out how to set the option when starting X with xdm/gdm/kdm.

In any case, startx -- -nolisten tcp will do it at commandline and so
far in Severn it's had no adverse impact for me...

Cheers,
Michael