skipping audio on severn

Gregory Boyce gboyce at badbelly.com
Wed Aug 6 17:11:47 UTC 2003

Hello,

I've been running the severn beta on my machines at home for the past
week or so, and I've been noticing a problem on my desktop machine that
I'm curious if anyone else is seeing.

I'm getting rather audio skips in xmms playing mp3 or ogg files when
doing even the simplest of tasks on the machine.  Switching between
different workspaces causes a slight skip, and I can even cause slight
skipping by just moving the mouse around.

For an audio driver I'm using the via82cxxx_audio driver.  My audio
controller in lspci is:
00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)

I'm using xmms with the esd output plugin.  Increasing the buffer size
to 7000ms doesn't help in the least.

I didn't have this problem at all with Redhat 9, and if I run Arjan's
2.6.0-test2 kernel, no skips show up at all.  Unfortunately I can't run
it regularly due to an annoying mouse issue where the scroll wheel stops
working under that kernel.

Anyone have any thoughts?

--
Gregory Boyce <gboyce at badbelly.com>