Just an idea!

Peter Backlund peter.backlund at home.se
Thu Aug 7 20:09:29 UTC 2003

> A simple and intuitive front end for YUM and rpm. Never mind about the
> icon in the GNOME-menu. But if the Nautilus applications:/// cold make a
> front end for YUM and rpm, the new user wold find installing rpms
> easily. And a YUM repository cold be made as an RHN subscription.

Actually, I think SuSE has their update/install tool (yast) organized in a
menu fashion, so that you're able to "browse" uninstalled, available
applications and select for installation.

This could be mimiced in gnome-vfs (or kde io-slaves) below an icon
"Installable packages", "Available software" or something like that, with rpm
organized by rpm groups (Applications/Multimedia and so forth).

A package would be prestented as Name (Description), and when double-clicked,
a window showing the description and size would be showed. Two buttons,
install and cancel, and an "advanced" tab showing file listing, dependencies
etc.

Well?

/Peter