Real Player 8 works ... Surprised... Other Multimedia

Jim Cornette jim-cornette at columbus.rr.com
Sat Aug 9 03:52:07 UTC 2003

Since I have a completely new installation. I thought that I'd try Real
player and found version 8. I installed it, expecting it to not work.

I didn't have to add LD_ASSUME_KERNEL whatever.

My question is mainly asking about why the prefix to launch the program
is no longer needed. Is there some list to reference certain apps before
nptl? Or is the Severn kernel "unbroke"?

Also, I'm trying out certain DVD playing applications from freshrpms.
For the Xine pleyer, I got a problem with Severn having a newer version
of glut than Xine depended upon. Also, Xine locks up on being able to
control it with movement of the mouse. The controls and focus for the
application are lost. I needed to do a killall -9 xine to quit the program.

I also tried out ogle and found the program to work like I would expect
a DVD player to act. It is from Freshrpms also.

With the reduction of multimedia, within RHL. It seems that the other
avenues to obtain multimedia applications are filling the void.

Jim

--
NT (as in Windows NT) is short for "Needs Testing".