APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Stephan Schutter rhl at farorbit.com
Tue Aug 12 21:33:58 UTC 2003

Well, I disagree... for the 90% there is RHL 9.0 etc. and for 10% there
is the enterprise solution. In an enterprise allmost all the cost is
project related and management related; perhaps less than 10% is related
to hardwre and software. A couple of k's is nothing to a multi milion
dollar project. I work for a large corp. and there are no projects smaller
than several milion dollars. What does matter in my environment is the
promises (read support) that comes with the vendor of the software.

Please keep in mind that small businesses need to see an easy migration
path from MS Small Business Server 2000/2003 (SQL, Exchange, Backoffice
etc.) and they care not much for CLI or scriptability. To them
manageability = a GUI way to do stuff. CLI and Scripting = expensive
contractors.

The exact oposite is true of my world.

RedHat provides 2 lines of product for this reason. They both have their
short comings, but show a lot of promise... not enough GUI on one hand and
dificult to integrate with the existing Win32 env. and AD on the other.