AIDE/Tripwire

Mr. Adam ALLEN adam at dynamicinteraction.co.uk
Wed Aug 13 13:11:56 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 13:13, Leonard den Ottolander wrote:
> Hi Tommy,
>
> > Maybe just setup a magic policy directory (ala /etc/tripwire.d ) .. that
> > each RPM can drop its "specs" into and have the policy generated
> > automatically or something..

I think it's dangerous to automatically rebuild the database, but
something like:

 - get the rpm to dump into /etc/tripwire.d
 - alert the user that they should run something like (or aide)
	tripwire --rebuild --parse-specs
 - it would probably be a safe idea to have RH sign the spec file, with
the same key used to sign the RPM, and the only process files out of
/etc/tripwire.d which can have their digital signatures verified. Users
might trust the /etc/tripwire.d contents too much- which is why I think
this step might be necessary.

Need to be really careful that my rpm doesn't drop in a new /etc/passwd.
Since the specfile would list /etc/passwd as a file- would this instruct
tripwire to re-calculate the checksums on /etc/passwd. (Which may have
all the accounts deleted).

Just a quick not-really thought through pitfalls that might exist.

--
Regards,
Adam Allen.

adam at dynamicinteraction.co.uk