APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Stephen Smoogen smoogen at lanl.gov
Wed Aug 13 17:01:53 UTC 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 15:36, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 August 2003 14:33, Stephan Schutter wrote:
> > Well, I disagree... for the 90% there is RHL 9.0 etc. and for 10%
> > there is the enterprise solution. In an enterprise allmost all the

> The problem is, the company I work for caters to these smaller
> companies, and provides systems w/ Linux pre-installed and all the
> support they need to get up and running.  It's becoming increasingly
> harder and harder to provide this service based on Red Hat Linux.  As
> Red Hat strips more and more server quality stuff out of the distro
> (tunable kernel VM, ipvs, etc...) and as their business take a stance
> that makes it impossible to OEM the RHL product it seems to me that
> unless you are a multimillion dollar business, you don't matter to RH,
> likewise if you don't sell products to multimillion dollar businesses
> then you as a provider don't matter to RH.  It's getting to the point
> that as a company, we'll have to switch to some lower quality product
> to be able to have the relationship necessary to OEM their product and
> it just stinks.
> </rant>

For some reason, I think you answered your own rant. You feel like you
are having to make a choice of whether to make a lower quality product
(w/o Red Hat) for small businesses to make ends meet. I doubt very much
that Red Hat is in any different position. From what I can infer they
have aimed for a higher quality product for people who will pay for it,
and a community product to try and meet the needs of people who wont pay
for it.

Stephen John Smoogen		smoogen at lanl.gov
Los Alamos National Labrador  CCN-5 Sched 5/40  PH: 4-0645 (note new #)