APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Jesse Keating hosting at j2solutions.net
Wed Aug 13 18:06:00 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 10:58, Alan Cox wrote:
> One of the major goals of RHLP is to get closer to base - which means
> the 2.6 kernel tree has ipvs in base. The update tool can also pull
> from third party repositories of your choice.
>
> RHEL is about quality Red Hat support, testing, slow rates of change
> and errata that are just minimal tested fixes. RHLP is about being
> close to the community releases, tracking new releases when they are
> available and getting the latest and greatest out there, while trying
> to ensure it actually works.
>
> Some of the package choices are down to deadlines, others to
> maintainability and - much a relic from the older setup,
> supportability.

If this is actually true, great, but I've already been told that things
like the Opteron support would not be included by Red Hat because it
would compete w/ the RHEL product, and I fear that future software will
get the same treatment.  I guess time will tell, but it's hard to
express that to the powers that be.

--
Jesse Keating RHCE MCSE
http://geek.j2solutions.net