APT, Yum and Red Carpet

Jef Spaleta jspaleta at princeton.edu
Wed Aug 13 22:06:12 UTC 2003

>You can strip it yourself. Its been made reasonably easy to do. There is
>a good reason for keeping some kind of RH branding for RHLP base - amongst
>other things so people know they are getting RHLP not "Seth's hacks".

Yes here's the rub of it...and i think this brings my point i tried to
made in to clearer focus. Sun allow OpenOffice.org to be its own
brand..its own brand that earned its own respect as a community product.

I think rhlp needs to be its own brand, a community brand that earns its
own value as a brand the community can point to. So for example when i
purchase a workstation for home use from an oem that contributes as a
community member to this rhlp project...that can distribute rhlp and
say..we have pre-installed the "community based" rhlp distro on this box
for you...have fun.  Right now its not clear to me that any oem can take
what this community project builds..take it back and preconfigure it on
a system for me, and be able to advertise they are giving me an rhlp
based product.

Forget the issues of the specific redhat logos or artwork...im talking
about being able to point to a pre-configured system and say this box
has something rhlp based pre-installed...without have to do silly,
wink-wink nudge-nudge word games like calling it pink tie or green
shoe.

-jef