P4s, Athlons and bandwidth

Felipe Alfaro Solana felipe_alfaro at linuxmail.org
Wed Aug 13 22:25:45 UTC 2003

On Wed, 2003-08-13 at 22:23, Jean Francois Martinez wrote:
> Given that most/all of the recent boxes (ie the ones doing the real
> work) are P4s and Athlons it is time RedHat stopped compiling
> with -mcpu=i686 and started optimizing for the P4: -mcpu=p4

I still have a 486 DX2/50, an original Pentium 100 and a Pentium II 300.
Well, in fact, only the Pentium II runs Red Hat Linux 9 but who knows
;-)

I agree it's time to compile with -mcpu=pentium3 for i686 kernels, and I
would propose creating a "pentium4" arch for P4. But I would still keep
i396 kernels compiled as -mcpu=i386.